[Coral-List] Distressing News for the Whole Pacific Ocean

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Wed Sep 4 11:47:01 EDT 2013

Listers, Don't loose too much sleep or become hysterical over the
radioactivity in Pacific waters far beyond Japanese waters.  Here is
some background that might ease your concerns. In the 1970s some very
interesting coral research came out of the Mid Pacific Marine Lab at
Enewetak in the Marshall Islands.  Although the tests at Bikini are more
well publicized more that 40 atomic devices, including the first
hydrogen bomb, were tested at Enewetak in the 1950s and early 1960s.
After the tests researchers at the Mid Pacific lab on Enewetak studied
many aspects of biology including growth banding in head corals. Corals
were sawed and the sawed surface  was placed on X-ray film for several
days in the dark. These corals in essence took their own picture and
radioactive bands provided elegant proof that growth bands were annual.
Although the growth bands laid down during detonations  clearly showed
on the film the corals also showed no effect from radiation and
continued to grow at pre-test rates. Later in 1983 I spent many hours
diving in two of the largest fusion bomb craters. Several of us were
coring a digging around in the craters to determine the size of the
craters at the instant of the explosion (craters had enlarged during the
intervening years). As part of our work Harold Hudson cored many 3-m
high Porities heads in near  proximity of a 200 foot deep crater made by
a 9 megaton blast. Geiger counter scans of the cores revealed the
slightly radioactive zone made by the bomb. His study showed that
Subsequent growth was not reduced. In addition, Hudson cored several
meter-high heads that had begun growing within the edge of a smaller
crater. Growth bands showed they settled and began growing less than a
year after the device was exploded (published in proceedings of the
Tahiti International Coral Reef Symposium). Sometime later I happened to
talk with the dive master at Scripts Institute of Oceanography.  He told
me he had dived in that crater 3-days after the blast! Another lesson we
learned from the dosimeter we all carried was that we were exposed to
more radiation flying at 30,000 ft to get to Enewetak than we
encountered in and around the craters. This was a great surprise because
we all knew that Plutonium has a 22,000 year half life. Certainly the
waters had been highly contaminated by the events but had drifted off
the atoll and was diluted in the surrounding depths. Most of the
radioactivity had gone up into the atmosphere.  I know this is not the
same as release of radioactive cooling water but shows that corals were
not noticeably affected by the intense radiation they must have received
when the devises were exploded. I might add that none of us involved in
this research were affected that we know of. Maybe that's why I am
forced to write these reports. However, remember there is a lot of water
between Japan, the coral atolls, and the US west coast. Not to worry. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor