[Coral-List] Proliferation of Acropora prolifera

vassil zlatarski vzlatarski at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 6 06:58:20 EDT 2013

You are most welcome, Ulf, your remarks are stimulative for thinking and verbalization.  In a practical manner, hybridization is recognizable after it occurs so frequently, that it could be noted by us.  Please note that here start of hybridization was used to point to the moment it would be detected  for the first time.  For the geological past this is possible using the fossil record, and in extant conditions by our observations on living organisms.  Not all lateral gene transfer or leaks are and could be detected.

With regard to your prognosis, yes, you are right, we have various cases, still waiting attention, of incomplete species-forming in Caribbean corals.

Corals are not fanatics of strong and strict taxonomic borders.  It is good that we are
continuing to learn more about them, but it is difficult to predict how much we
will be able to reveal of their nature and evolutionary tricks.

Cheers,

Vassil

131 Fales Rd., Bristol, RI 02809, USA;  tel.: +1-401-254-5121