[Coral-List] Distressing News for the Whole Pacific

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Fri Sep 6 15:35:50 EDT 2013

Steve Wood makes a good point. The atmospheric tests were a problem and
there is good evidence they did create cancer risks.  The American
Scientist article he provided for coral-list readers is excellent. Until
I read it I had no idea that  a total of 504 atomic devices had been
tested since the 1950s. There may be more because the  recent Pakistan
tests are not shown on the figure provided in the article. In addition I
just learned that in addition to these atmospheric tests there were 137
underground tests in the Pacific at Mururoa. It's no wonder that
radioactive by-products of these tests are still widely distributed and
will remain with us for many years to come. They have even been detected
in very small amounts in post 1950s coral growth bans here in the
Florida Keys. The question is will cooling water leaking from Fukushima
become a problem as significant as fallout  from atmospheric testing. I
do not know but I hope we do not become overly hysterical. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor