[Coral-List] Acropora prolifera

Judith Lang jlang at riposi.net
Tue Sep 10 12:52:19 EDT 2013

Hi Dennis,
Orbicella is a "middle-aged" Dana species. Nancy Budd and colleagues published an extensive revision of the Mussidae and former family Faviidae in 2012 on the basis of both molecular and morphological data.
Here's the reference:
 Budd, A.F., H. Fukami, N.D. Smith and N. Knowlton. 2012. Taxonomic classification of the reef coral family Mussidae (Cnidaria: Anthozoa: Scleractinia). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 166: 465-529.
Anyone wanting to see all the changes can download the paper at http://www.agrra.org/Mussa.pdf

These changes were incorporated into the spring 2013 version of the AGRRA Coral ID slides, and the Coral Flash slides, which can be downloaded at http://www.agrra.org/method/trainingid.html
Enjoy,
Judy (Lang)