[Coral-List] Canthigaster rostrata masive death in San Andres Archipelago, Coral-List Digest, Vol 61, Issue 13

Jack Sobel jack_sobel at verizon.net
Fri Sep 13 11:26:26 EDT 2013

This type of event has apparently happened a number of times before for this
species, Canthigaster rostrata, and similar species; and was the subject of
a previous discussion on the Coral Reef list-serve back in 2008; and there
was a Reef Sites piece on the Yucatan event published in Coral Reefs in
2009.  The reference for the Yucatan article follows and is attached, but I
don't think it will go through to the list-serve.  Also, a note by Christy
Pattengill-Semmens from the REEF website regarding the prior Coral Reef
List-serve discussion and comments from John Ogden on it also follows.  The
link to the prior list-serve discussion did not work, at least for me.

Jack Sobel
4910 Earlston Drive
Bethesda, MD  20816
(301)320-0880
(202)262-6926
jack_sobel at verizon.net

Jordan-Garza A. G. , Diaz-Almeyda E. M. , Iglesias-Prieto R. , Maldonado M.
A. , Ortega J.
2009. Mass mortality of Canthigaster rostrata at the northeast coast of the
Yucatan
Peninsula. Coral Reefs 28(3):661-661.

>From REEF site
Population Explosion of Sharpnose Puffers - an explanation
Submitted by Christy on Wed, 12/31/2008 - 11:08.

Hello all.

This phenomenon was recently noted by several researchers and scientists on
the Coral Reef Listserve. The most likely explanation for the explosion was
posted by Dr. John Ogden -- "My guess is that sharpnose puffers have the
same type of recruitment as Bill Gladfelter and I observed for balloonfish
(Diodon holocanthus) many years ago in St. Croix. The larvae are pelagic for
a long larval life, up to a year. During this interval; they slowly gather
into huge schools of many thousands of individuals (about 3cm long) which
then recruit en mass to whatever coastal region is favorable within the time
frame of development. The area then becomes completely flooded with recruits
which gradually disperse and are preyed upon. You could call this a sort of
17-year locust type of recruitment."

You can view the entire thread of Coral Listserv posts on this topic here --
http://coral.aoml.noaa.gov/pipermail/coral-list/2008-December/038308.html

-- Christy Pattengill-Semmens
 REEF Director of Science
Login or register to post comments