[Coral-List] reliable coral reef statistics

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Mon Sep 16 17:30:55 EDT 2013

One other thing to consider in all of this relates to a discussion we all
had at the RSMAS "Coral Reef Love IN" run by Bob Ginsburg back when reefs
were just "declining". One of the exercises was to have everyone present
data on reefs that they started working on 20-30 years earlier (now 40-50
years). The admitted blind spot in this approach was that, when everyone
thought back, not a single one of us had chose the crummiest, nastiest
reefs we could find. As a result, our "typical" reefs were initially chosen
because they were the "biggest", "best", "most populated", "most diverse"
or some other descriptor that might suggest that they had little chance of
improving and that chances were better than even that they might decline in
subsequent years.

None of this is to say that the evidence of decline is not compelling.
However, the "shifting baseline" may work a bit in the opposite direction
than is typically discussed. I guess my point here is that data or
recollections from those of us who are fortunate to have taken 60+%
abundance for granted are not perfect either.

Dennis