[Coral-List] Reliable coral reef stats

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Thu Sep 19 14:34:33 EDT 2013

A few years ago, we were asked to look into existing coral reef sampling
protocols to determine what is most appropriate as use as a baseline for a
future mitigation concern. We studied every standard we could find from the
standpoint of its utility in identifying and quantifying what ecological
'functions' would be lost over time after the damage (as per federal
regulations, where in these functions are not well-defined -- but we did
what we could in that regard). The answer was: none.

The closest was a methodology in which coral colonies were identified and
measured as part of the sampling, combined with remote sensing bottom
classifications. From this one can obtain rough estimates of potential rates
of recovery from previous rates of recruitment and mortality, and quantify
the recovery spatially. However, aside from the obvious problem in defining
a 'colony' in some circumstances, the approach involved measuring only the
longest dimension. This was fine for the purposes of the original
methodology designers, but for us, it added a systematic error -- comparable
to that of putting transect lines on places with the highest local cover, as
sometimes encountered in other protocols. Still, because the bias is known
and systematic, prior data could still be used with a correction factor,
based either on rationalization or, ultimately, on comparative sampling
(something that would be good for those 'highest cover' surveys). Of course,
we recommended that multiple colony measures be used for mitigation cases.

One point of this is that there is no 'one size fits all' sampling approach.
If someone needs to identify change in a specific reef, one should match a
sampling unit to the purposes of the study, select an appropriate
statistical design, choose the appropriate number of sample units from which
to obtain data based on an analysis of estimated or pre-sampled local
variance, and try to minimize bias throughout the process. Although some
people use experimental design procedures for this, it is much better to
actually use sampling design principles (see books by Hayek and Buzas,
Thompson, or the old Cochran book, or better, get a statistician to help
early on!).

Usually, formal statistical design is not practical for sampling across many
reefs (though given the appropriate prior funding commitments it would be
feasible), so we must trade off intensiveness for extensiveness. Every
methodology has pros and cons for this. Reef Check's approach is very
'extensive', gathering less data to lower cost and permit very wide, rapid
sampling. All existing methods have biases one way or another. I think the
worst bias we see in regional and global surveys is that of reef selection
-- we sample primarily convenient, well-known reefs. We have seen specific
efforts to gather information from less-known and distant reefs (including
efforts from Reef Check, AGRRA, NOAA, Cordio, etc.), and so this bias can
increasingly be adjusted for via appropriate data groupings and weightings
-- assuming that all this data are made publicly and easily available .

I am not associated with Reef Check, but it clearly is the best thing we
currently have in terms of global coverage using a uniform standard.

However, as global concerns about reef issues increases, there may be new
opportunities to improve sampling protocols. So, I encourage discussion on
how assessments at national, regional and global scales can be improved. So,
please do suggest better ways to obtain this vital information. Critique
without suggestion is not terribly helpful.

Cheers!

John

John W. McManus, PhD
Director, National Center for Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Professor, Marine Biology and Fisheries
Coral Reef Ecology and Management Lab (CREM Lab)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)
University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway, Miami, 33149
jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu      http://ncore.rsmas.miami.edu/
Phone: 305-421-4814

"Far better an approximate answer to the right question, which is often
vague,
   than an exact answer to the wrong question, which can always be made
precise."

     --John Tukey, Statistician, National Medal of Science and IEEE Medal of
Honor