[Coral-List] Reef Reminiscences

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Fri Sep 20 10:54:17 EDT 2013

Peter, If you say you asked me to write for Reef Reminiscences you are
probably right. I just don't remember but then again I forget a lot of
things. Its is a good read and it would have been great to have the
reminiscences of Bob Ginsburg since he predates and saw more than most
of us. I suspect the general lack of response from geologists is due to
the long standing tension between Biologists and Geologists. Geology is
often associated with exploitation of natural resources. Biologists on
the other hand do not get blamed when fishermen exploit the living
resources they study. I saw the bias when biologists were getting all
the attention and funding when Florida reefs first became a research
issue. That observation encouraged me to published a story titled, "No
Rocks, No Water, Ecosystem." I was trying to bring attention to the
disparity. Now I am stuck with that signature statement when the one I
like best is, "When you are on the wrong train every stop is the wrong
stop." Many I think have gotten on the wrong train and can not find a
graceful way off. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor