[Coral-List] Reliable Coral Reef Stats

David Fisk davefisk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 12:22:56 EDT 2013

John

Good comments. I don't think there is a good set of monitoring protocols
that will cover all useful scales of interest, and most likely there will
never be just one. But RC is pretty obviously pushing that claim to fame.

I don't think I was just being critical without offering helpful opinions.
I wanted to make the obvious comment on the clear limitations of RC that is
not been pointed out publicly by the coral reef community for some strange
reason.

This is the essence of my posting and I would really like that message to
be heard in places where RC coordinators and individuals  are acquiring
limited funds from aid agencies through dubious scientific rigour claims.
RC is then introducing its approach under the guise of being locally
relevant to that countries' very pressing fisheries concerns for example,
which clearly isn't its main focus or function.

You said it all by your sentence: 'One point of this (ie your assessment of
protocols) is that there is no 'one size fits all' sampling approach.'

Cheers Dave Fisk