[Coral-List] FW: Reliable coral reef stats

Clive Wilkinson clive.wilkinson at rrrc.org.au
Sat Sep 21 20:45:03 EDT 2013

I hesitate to enter into this discussion about methodology, as throughout my years with the Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network, the most vigorous discussions were about 'methodology' rather than on the validity of the data obtained by that methodology. It appears that every reef scientist wanted to develop their own special methods with something resembling religious fervour! In an attempt to consolidate the methods (and reduce a proliferation of methods) we published a compendium of the current methods that was released at the Okinawa ICRS in 2004:
Hill, J. and Wilkinson, C. (2004). Methods for Ecological Monitoring of Coral Reefs: A Resource for Managers.  Australian Institute of Marine Science and Reef Check, Townsville, p. 118 Jos Hill was then the head of Reef Check in Australia. I presume that this is available on the GCRMN, NOAA, ReefBase, AIMS and other websites.

Clive Wilkinson