[Coral-List] Biologists, geologists, and systems thinking tradition in coral reef science

Kaufman, Leslie S lesk at bu.edu
Tue Sep 24 17:11:22 EDT 2013

To echo Alina's email copied below, most of the reef biologists in our couple of elder generations were trained as "honorary geologists", some of us even growing up in geology or earth science departments and earning wonderfully stratigraphic degrees.  Not only that, but our geology colleagues were at least as good honorary biologists as we were at whacking rocks- because our mentors saw to it that this would be so.  We can complain that this fine tradition has ebbed, and that the ranks of carbonate geologists may be a bit thin on the ground in some places, but we can also resurrect and rebuild the interdisciplinary perspective in our own teaching and mentoring.  I (or my pinch hitter, Nathan Stewart) teach a course in the BU Marine Program called "Coral Reef Dynamics: Shallow Reefs, Deep Time" that tows this line, not out of nostalgia, but out of common sense and necessity.  All of my cohort do likewise.  As living reefs wain, the utility of the holistic approach will be self-evident.  Just as we dream of our shattered society pulling together in some utopian scenario of sanity and sustainability, so can we dream of the bits and pieces that make up a vibrant coral reef one day reassembling themselves into something that looks like the world as we knew it as students.  The up side for the reefs, is we know it can happen because we've seen it ourselves, or read of it in rare testimonials like the one we've been celebrating here.  Society lacks any so certain a history, and has never yet built quite such a structure...but we can work at it.

Les