[Coral-List] What do coral reef scientists perceive are the major threats to Caribbean coral reefs?

Sarah Young syoungresides at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 08:55:51 EDT 2014

Dear Coral List,

I have been an active reader of coral list for the last 15 years and this
is my first post!  Fingers crossed you can help....

Newcastle University in conjunction with UK overseas territory government
departments have amassed a large dataset on *perceived* impacts and threats
to Caribbean coral reefs.  These range from sun cream to anchor damage.  We
are testing the hypothesis that people will be more supportive of
management initiatives seen to be addressing threats they view as
important, leading to reduced implementation and enforcement costs.
Notably absent from the majority of interview responses were any mention of
coral bleaching, ocean acidification, climate change or overfishing.  So we
would like to compare our perception data to (preferably) a ranked list of
scientific expert derived threats to Caribbean coral reefs, but failing
that a list of the top 10 / top 20 threats to coral reefs.

There is a lot of information on the web but I am looking for something
with a robust method - a journal article would be great, or perhaps a
survey with a decent sample size, conducted within the last 5 years......
Can anyone help?

If people are interested I can post links to the reports when they are
complete.

Thank you in advance,

Sarah Young (syoungresides at gmail.com)

Future of Reefs Project

Intro video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8ZNSIUDwZ5Q

--
"Every morning I awake torn between a desire to save the world and an
inclination to savor it. This makes it hard to plan the day." E.B.