[Coral-List] News coral reef restoration Seychelles (Peter Sale) Coral-List Digest, Vol 68, Issue 9

Rob Hilliard, imco rhilliard at imco.com.au
Fri Apr 11 15:31:10 EDT 2014

I agree, Peter, that any international, NGO or national govt/tax-payer
funding for a coral nursery project needs to look very carefully at the
long term goals and the social / commercial and scientific / management
benefits of coral cultivation,  whether by collection of local, natural
nubbins or from breaking up corals taken locally or further afield...

In many coral tourism and coral aquaculture areas, including the
Maldives, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines and some Pacific Island
States, etc, there are many sound commercial reasons why resort
companies and other commercial ventures should and do support local
coral nursery and plant-out projects, and personally I support this type
activity - not only by improving their well-trodden/highly snorkelled
'house reefs' etc but also because of the various local community and
visitor spin-offs, including improved awareness and understanding of the
importance of coral reefs and their sensitivity to unsustainable
exploitation and climate change impacts.

But if substantial public-sector funding is involved, then the
science-based objectives and methods of such project/s need to be fully
clarified and identified, to ensure the results are robust, meaningful
and useful, and can be peer-reviewed and published for all coral reef
managers to benefit from.  There is potential for such projects because
virtually all resort and aquaculture companies are unwilling to
persevere with any 'non-weedy' species that has a low survival under the
locally-adopted cultivation method, and/or low growth during this and
the subsequent 'grow-out' phases (especially after final relocation of
new colonies to local reef sites).  Site characteristics and site
selection - both for the nursery and the final 'grow-out' area/s - are
also just as critical as the particular methods employed.

I've no specific information regarding the Seychelles project, but
hopefully Sarah's team are committed to publishing all methods and
procedures they are using and why, and what species at the Seychelles
did the best and worst under their methods, including the rates and
causes for their observed partial or complete mortalities of nubbins and
juvenile colonies.

Best
Rob

_________________________
Robert Hilliard PhD Pg.Dip (EMS)
InterMarine Consulting Pty Ltd
19 Burton Road, Darlington
Western Australia6070
Mob:+61 427 855 485
Office: +61 8 6394 0606
Fax:+61 8 9255 4668
*rhilliard at imco.com.au <mailto:rhilliard at imco.com.au>*
**
*P**lease consider our environment before printing this e-mail*
To download the latest _Marine Pest Vessel Management Guidelines_ of the
WA Department of Fisheries (_24^th January 2014_), go to:
http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/Documents/biosecurity/introduced_marine_pests_management_guidelines.pdf

Message: 2