[Coral-List] What do coral reef scientists perceive are the major threats to Caribbean coral reefs?

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 09:34:33 EDT 2014

I think Bob Johannes deserves a mention:
Johannes, R. E. (1970). "How to kill a coral reef - I." Marine Pollution
Bulletin 1(12): 186-187.

Johannes, R. E. (1971). "How to kill a coral reef - II." Marine Pollution
Bulletin 2(1): 9-10.

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 1:47 AM, Clive Wilkinson <
clive.wilkinson at rrrc.org.au> wrote:

> Hi Sarah (and those interested in lists)
>

> There have been many recent efforts to list the most serious threats to
> coral reefs (usually excluding non-anthropogenic stressors). May I suggest
> you start with these.
>

> The first in the literature was via Bernard Salvat in the early 80s and
> threats were the theme of the 4th International Coral Reef Symposium in
> Manila with Edgardo Gomez leading the charge.
>

> Don Kinsey summarised the major threats in 1988 with a focus on organic
> pollution, overfishing and excess sedimentation (Kinsey, D. W. (1988).
> Coral reef response to some natural and anthropogenic stresses. Galaxea, 7,
> 113-28..)
>

> The two plenary addresses at the 7th International Coral Reef Symposium in
> Guam focused on the threats facing coral reefs, with
>
> predictions and bringing in climate change as a major threat(Buddemeier,
> 1993 p. 1; Wilkinson, 1993, p. 11).
>

> Barbara Best compiled a list of threats in 2001 (Best, B.A. and A.
> Bornbusch (eds). Global trade and consumer choices: Coral reefs in crisis.
> Proceeding of 2001 Annual Meeting of the American Association for the
> Advancement of Science, San Francisco, California, 19 February 2001)
>

> In 2004, the Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network produced this 'Top Ten'
> list, based on input from more than 200 people:
>

> Global Change Threats:
> o    Coral bleaching - caused by elevated sea surface temperatures due to
> global climate change;
> o    Rising levels of CO2 - increased concentrations of CO2 in seawater
> decrease calcification rates in coral reef organisms;
> o    Diseases, Plagues and Invasives - increases in diseases and plagues
> of coral predators that are increasingly linked to human disturbances in
> the environment.
>
> Direct Human Pressures:
> o    Over-fishing (and global market pressures) - the harvesting of fishes
> and invertebrates beyond sustainable yields, including the use of damaging
> practices (bomb and cyanide fishing);
> o    Sediments - from poor land use, deforestation, and dredging;
> o    Nutrients and Chemical pollution - both organic and inorganic
> chemicals carried with sediments, in untreated sewage, waste from
> agriculture, animal husbandry and industry; includes complex organics and
> heavy metals;
> o    Development of coastal areas - modification of coral reefs for urban,
> industrial, transport and tourism developments, including reclamation and
> the mining of coral reef rock and sand beyond sustainable limits.
>
> The Human Dimension - Governance, Awareness and Political Will:
> o    Rising poverty, increasing populations, alienation from the land -
> increasing human populations put increasing pressures on coral reef
> resources beyond sustainable limits;
> o    Poor capacity for management and lack of resources - most coral reef
> countries lack trained personnel for coral reef management, raising
> [...]

"... the earth is, always has been, and always will be more beautiful than
it is useful." - Ophuls, 1977