[Coral-List] Thank you for the threats!

Bradley, Patricia Bradley.Patricia at epa.gov
Wed Apr 16 12:10:16 EDT 2014

Check out a website where we have tried to map it using the DPSIR conceptual framework: http://www.epa.gov/ged/coralreef/

-----Original Message-----
From: coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov [mailto:coral-list-bounces at coral.aoml.noaa.gov] On Behalf Of Szmant, Alina
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 10:22 AM
To: Sarah Young; Coral List (coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov)
Subject: Re: [Coral-List] Thank you for the threats!

Actually what you have counted as 11 different threats are only 3-4 because several of them are the same ones but using different words:  ocean warming = bleaching and disease.  The elevated temperature causes the bleaching and disease outbreaks.  Thus one (temperature) is the cause of the other two.  Same with coastal development:  coastal development is the cause of the sedimentation and nutrient enrichment, and leads to the algal competition (along with more substrate available for algae after coral death from bleaching and disease, and lack of herbivory from overfishing). Overfishing and all of the previous are consequences of human overpopulation.  Lack of enforcement is also a consequence of human overpopulation pressure on limited resources (plus human greed of course).  Ocean acidification is the latest band wagon/diversion that may eventually affect coral calcification rates if we keep on the same path, but there will likely be few corals left alive by then to be affected by ocean acidification.

 So if you want to diagram all of this start with human overpopulation at the top and connect the dots of the various consequences and pathways below it.

“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” Eleanor Roosevelt

“The time is always right to do what is right”  Martin Luther King

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
Center for Marine Science
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta