[Coral-List] What do coral reef scientists perceive are the major threats to Caribbean coral reefs?

Magnus Johnson m.johnson at hull.ac.uk
Thu Apr 17 08:38:31 EDT 2014

Plastics + POPs? Invasive species?  These are two threats that, like climate change, we will struggle to deal with and should be on your list.

I think fishing, while it should be there, should be bottom of the list!  Also population growth (1 australian ~ 12.5 indians in terms of carbon emissions as an indicator) in my opinion is, like fishing,  one of the obvious rather than most potent threats.

What about global inequality?  How can you stop a man or woman going fishing on a reef to feed their children when the only alternative you can offer is cocacola-isation of their cultures and poorly paid servant labour to the fat western middle classes?