[Coral-List] Prioritizing impacts to coral reefs

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Wed Apr 23 16:59:48 EDT 2014

Richard asked why I had not addressed several posting. Well, one has to
wonder if these rants gets us anywhere? I am reminded of the following
lines I pirated from a recent blog. " The crisis we face is not one of
politics in just one sphere, that of government. Even more sinister
politics have long been afoot in the scientific sphere from whence this
whole knowing of the matter of anthropogenic carbon sprang. The world of
science is a most unpleasant guild-like, politically active, and
aggressive world. It has its warring sides and those sides have
territories they claim and fiercely defend." This rang a bell because I
have seen many hypotheses come and go. By the time one is gone few even
remember it.
     Back to one of the postings which asked, Is the Pew foundation any
different than the Heritige foundation? Of course its like night and
day. One is left wing and the other on the right. Both have lots of
money. You believe what you want to believe. Its like comparing Mother
Jones magazine to the Wall Street Journal. Take your pick. I have come
to believe there really are two kinds of people and it is not simply
Male and Female. We are wired differently from birth and yes it helps to
follow the money. Education seldom changes the wiring.
Regardless of what one might feel about Craig Idso people should
evaluate the papers he cited in the Heritage website I posted and stop
the ad hominem/kill the messenger attacks. Those were peer reviewed
papers. IPCC papers are peer reviewed (mainly by each other). An IPCC
member writer would not send his coral reef paper to Idso for review and
visa versa. The lines have been drawn. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor