[Coral-List] Bring Back the Gulf

DeeVon Quirolo dquirolo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 20:06:24 EDT 2014

Sorry to burst your bubble Gene, but there is no money trail here.  I am
not on anyone's payroll.  This was a six month grant to investigate this
topic and we've done our work and published our findings.  It is a timely
release of our extensive review of the issue, free of the excessive
influence of the oil and gas lobby as has been the case previously on this
issue.  Now it is up to Interior to reassess the program as they have
announced they intend to do.  All the best, DeeVon

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Eugene Shinn <eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu>
wrote:

> Having served on the Dept. of Interior Minerals Management Service
> science committee (3 years and before the name change) and having spent
> many hours diving and researching and photographing marine life under
> offshore rigs I am well aware of the extensive scientific research done
> on the environmental effects of rigs and artificial reefs in general.
> These rigs exist in an area consisting of miles and miles of featureless
> gooey mud populated mainly by shrimp. I am also aware of the marine life
> lost when explosives are placed in the rig legs in order blow them off
> below the "mud line" as stipulated by existing regulations.Almost every
> fish down there including thousands of pounds of red snapper, grouper,
> angel fish and other tropicals that depend on these habitats, including
> protected turtles, become shark food when rigs are blasted loose from
> the bottom. Why is there no concern for the bicatch discarded by
> shrimpers.  One has to consider where the idea and political motivation
> to remove these essential marine habitats from the Gulf is coming from.
> The decision certainly is not science or humanitarian-based and neither
> does it make ecological sense. We can only scratch our heads and wonder,
> especially since the secretary of the interior who created the idle iron
> project has moved on. The authors of this book have mixed damage from
> oil with iron, a primary ocean nutrient. These rigs are no longer
> extracting oil so oil is irrelevant to their argument. Is the makings of
> another NGO being developed to provide tax benefits to the unwary?
> Follow the money. Gene
>
> --
>

> No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
> ------------------------------------ -----------------------------------
> E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor
> University of South Florida
> College of Marine Science Room 221A
> 140 Seventh Avenue South
> St. Petersburg, FL 33701
> <eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu>
> Tel 727 553-1158

DeeVon Quirolo

www.bringbackthegulf.org
www.neighborsagainstmining.org
www.reefrelieffounders.com
www.reefreliefarchive.org
www.sunshinestatecleanenergycoalition.org

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi

We can do no great things; only small things with great love.
Mother Theresa

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics
whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can
dream of things that never were.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy