[Coral-List] Fwd: Parrotfish

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Mon Aug 4 14:02:54 EDT 2014

Not to claim any larger understanding or to express a contrary opinion...
several years back we did a study examinin post-(hurricane)Hugo recovery of
reef communities on eastern St. Croix. Specifically, we compared the
southern reef in Buck Island National Park with the Tague Bay forereef on
nearby St. Croix. The two reefs are on opposite sides of the same channel
and are separated by ca 1.5 km with the only difference being protection -
the park is a no-take area and the Tague Bay forereef is frequented by both
pot fishers and spearfishers. Both sites have been the focus of longer-term
monitoring and we have geological core data from both sites so we felt that
we had reasonable context to separate human impact from natural variability.

We were heartened by the increase in parrotfishes in the park relative to
either post Hugo or the immediate pre-storm surveys. On Tague Bay forereef,
*Diadema* populations had risen significantly. As in the FGNM, they were
not at 1970s levels, but were considerably higher than anything I had seen
elsewhere in the previous couple of decades. Also encouraging were the
lower abundances of macroalgae which we attributed to higher grazing -
especially on Tague Reef where urchins were more likely to affect algal
populations other than turfs.

While we were encouraged to see higher herbivore densities, coral cover
remained essentially at post-Hugo levels, i.e., the elevated grazer
communities appeared to have created no positive impact at either site. At
the time, we concluded (and I still tend to believe) that issues like
acidification, bleaching, disease and other things related to climate
change were discouraging recruitment and recovery. I would not publish this
conclusion without a way to positively make the link with these more
physical factors, but it does leave me skeptical about the "save the
parrotfish" campaign that seems to be one major side effect of the recent
report being referenced on the listserve. I do ascribe to the idea that
local factors may be more realistic to address than bringing the world
together to fight climate change. But this is a very different thing than
arguing that restoring the lowest rung in the top-down ladder will produce
measurable impacts.

Dennis