[Coral-List] Recent paper about land-based source pollution impacts in Acropora palmata

Bruce Neill bruce at sanibelseaschool.org
Tue Aug 5 12:49:39 EDT 2014

Coral Reefers,

At Sanibel Sea School, we take young kids to Looe Key National Marine
Sanctuary annually to learn coral reef biology and experience reefs
first-hand; we also take (slightly) older kids to Andros (Bahama Islands)
each year to lean more and engage in an ongoing reef monitoring project.

Over several years, I have observed something that has struck a chord with
me about the complexity of coral reef management and conservation.

On Looe Key, we are doing a superb job of conserving large fish.  We see a
lot of sharks, Goliath Grouper and more recently Nassau Grouper, among
other fishes; we also see many Queen Conch.  And we are seeing some
Acropora regeneration.

On Andros, we are seeing extensive Acropora regeneration, but we see very
few large fish, and we see very few conch.

It strikes me that (marine) location-based management (in the Keys) helps
conserve fish, but can't control water quality and other factors vital to
coral regeneration.  In the Bahamas, we have better water quality and
recruitment factors (hence better coral regeneration), but are not doing a
good job of fish management.  (I recognize that the coral recruitment pool
in the keys is likely lower than the Bahamas, but it is a great teaching
opportunity, nonetheless.)

It certainly has served to remind me that coral reef conservation must have
both marine and land components to maintain thriving coral reef ecosystems.

Keep up the good work.

Bruce Neill

J. Bruce Neill, Ph.D.

Ocean Advocate and Executive Director
[image: Sanibel Sea School Logo] <http://sanibelseaschool.org/>

Our vision is a world where all people value, understand and care for the
ocean.

P.O. Box 1229 - 414 Lagoon Drive - Sanibel, FL 33957
*Phone:* 239.472.8585

[image: SSS Blog Icon] <http://sanibelseaschool.org/blog/> [image: SSS
Facebook Icon] <http://www.facebook.com/SanibelSeaSchool> [image: SSS
Twitter Icon] <http://www.twitter.com/DocBruce>