[Coral-List] Mexican Caribbean Fish Spawning Aggregation Project Request

e-mail stufulton stufulton at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 29 15:05:39 EDT 2014

Sarah,

In a normal scenario you´d think the fishers would know where the
aggregations are, but in this case you´d you might be suprised to hear:

1. The fishers in the Sian Ka´an Biosphere are primarily free diving
lobster fishers and have only been in the area for 1, at most 2
generations. If you check out the link you can see a dog snapper
aggregation that we found this year - that was located less than 5 km from
their village - they didnt know it was there. We found that by using their
knowledge of the currents and conditions, the bathymetric maps we made
(well, they made as they did all the work) and a lot of diving (again, we
trained the fishers to dive and they did the heavy lifting).

2. The Nassau grouper site, they knew about, and it has been fished. Which
is why, as of 12 sept 2013, the fishers THEMSELVES created a no-take zone,
legally recognized by the Mexican government to protect it. Along with 12
other areas.

This project is the accumulation of years of work, working with and winning
the trust of the fishing communites.

Regards

Stuart