[Coral-List] [Article] Evidence for multiple stressor interactions and effects on coral reefs

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Mon Feb 3 10:54:14 EST 2014

Stephen:

Thanks for a very interesting paper. While I understand that, given the
background of the authors, Figure 2 will have a strong biological focus.
Having said that, it would be interesting to see how many studies exist in
which the three main stressors you identified are paired with the papers
you examined that looked at coral-reef decline. If this comes out the way I
susoect, your data may show that while the largely physical factors you
identify as primary, the focus remains largely on biological responses
(i.e., counting lost organisms). I fear that in our zeal to document the
magnitude of the problem as our primary input to management, we are losing
track of the physio-chemical pathways that are driving these changes. The
result is our existing management strategy that focuses on exclusion and
regulation. This, of course, ties into the larger debate over mitigation
versus adaptation, whether we are considering climate change as a larger
phenomenin or reef decline as an end result.

I realize you are the messenger,

Dennis