[Coral-List] Coral Science and the Concept of Novel Ecosystems

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 11 16:00:07 EST 2014

   I'm having issues trying to reconcile the ideas expressed in Les Kaufman's
   sagacious commentary with the themes being explored in the neoteric concept
   of novel ecosystems.
   I have to say that I agree with Les when he says that "The battle for coral
   reefs is a battle for values. . . . Unless coral reefs are deemed sacred,
   they will be lost. Anything that is not sacred is being destroyed. Concepts
   like adaptability, ecological economics, and the larger infant science of
   coupled human and natural systems-are needed, but they are not the answer.
   The answer lies exclusively in the part of our mind that we paradoxically
   refer to as our heart. The destruction of the natural world is a heartless
   activity. It is also stupid, but that does not carry much weight. If enough
   people adopt the notion that coral reefs are sacred and their destruction
   deemed  a  sacrilege,  then those who remain will not wish to bear the
   embarrassment of being called out as defilers. Peer pressure is all".
   It seems to me that although it may be true that it is unrealistic to think
   that coral reefs can be returned to pristine conditions, it is
   disturbing to consider that the best alternative is to heartlessly embrace
   the change and resolve to explore how human societies can adapt and respond
   to the emergence of the inevitable, "novel" and diminished conditions that
   seemingly must characterize coral reef ecosystems of the future.
   Regards,
    Steve