[Coral-List] Lionfish and African Dust

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 01:13:16 EST 2014

Tom,

Good points in your message below, I agree with all of it.  The eddies spun
off by the Gulf stream can be called warm rings and are well known.
Whirling around, they can move larvae in any and all directions, including
the opposite direction to the normal flow.  There are a variety of other
eddies as well.
    I personally have no quarrel with anyone concluding that Aspergillus is
carried in the African dust, that it is terrestrial, and even that the
species that causes sea fan disease is carried in the dust and that is how
it got there.  But the evidence for that is very good, and for Diadema and
diseases of hard corals like white band and others, there is no hard
evidence that it came in the African dust that I know of, none.  The timing
and pattern is way off what would be predicted from African dust, and none
have been detected in the dust to my knowledge.  Which doesn't mean the
dust doesn't have a lot of other nasty things in it, clearly it does.  But
you can't explain everything with African dust.  Not Tubastraea spread, not
lionfish spread, not Diadema die off, not any of the hard coral diseases.
Which doesn't mean that someday someone won't find some real evidence to
indicate that some hard coral disease might have been transported by
African dust.  Someday that evidence may be found, or it may not.  But so
far it hasn't to my knowledge.  Mind you, I don't study this and haven't
followed the details in all the papers on African dust.

Cheers,  Doug