[Coral-List] Shark Feeding Question

Nancy Diersing - NOAA Affiliate nancy.diersing at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 14 10:27:14 EST 2014

*Everyone:  FYI--*

*Here are the regulations from Florida's Fish and Wildlife Conservation
Commission regarding fish feeding by snorkelers and divers in the state
waters of Florida.
**http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/feeding-fish/
<http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/feeding-fish/>*

*Regulations for Feeding Fish, Shark, or other Marine Species*

Feeding fish, sharks, or other marine species while diving or snorkeling is
prohibited. It is also prohibited to operate a boat that is hired to carry
passengers to any area within state waters to feed marine species or view
marine species feeding. These regulations were developed because of
concerns about the

   - safety of divers, surfers, and swimmers
   - feeding of marine species in multiple-use areas, and
   - effects of concentrating and training sharks to associate humans with
   food

"Chumming" or feeding fish for the purpose of harvesting marine species as
otherwise allowed by FWC rules is permitted.