[Coral-List] Shark Feeding Question

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 12:45:37 EST 2014

Hi Nancy and others,
re. safety and associating humans with food

1. I know from both painful personal experience and subsequent inquiry that
at least one resort reef in Maldives where guests fed the fish directly
(i.e., handing it out while wading, snorkeling, or diving), various fish
species soon came to associate the food with people and would approach them
expecting lunch. Of those fish, Balistapus undulatus, a fish with very
sharp teeth, would bite divers if no food was offered. Earlobes were the
favourite target and earlobes bleed profusely from such clean cuts. It
commonly happened during dive "safety" stops.
Would it be surprising if feeding conditioned some sharks to behave in a
similar manner?

2. In the early days of tourism in Maldives there were a few shark
"attacks" which is to say divers bitten when feeding sharks.

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Nancy Diersing - NOAA Affiliate <
nancy.diersing at noaa.gov> wrote:

> *Everyone:  FYI--*
>
> *Here are the regulations from Florida's Fish and Wildlife Conservation
> Commission regarding fish feeding by snorkelers and divers in the state
> waters of Florida.
> **http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/feeding-fish/
> <http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recreational/feeding-fish/>*
>
> *Regulations for Feeding Fish, Shark, or other Marine Species*
>
> Feeding fish, sharks, or other marine species while diving or snorkeling is
> prohibited. It is also prohibited to operate a boat that is hired to carry
> passengers to any area within state waters to feed marine species or view
> marine species feeding. These regulations were developed because of
> concerns about the
>
>    - safety of divers, surfers, and swimmers
>    - feeding of marine species in multiple-use areas, and
>    - effects of concentrating and training sharks to associate humans with
>    food
>
> "Chumming" or feeding fish for the purpose of harvesting marine species as
> otherwise allowed by FWC rules is permitted.
>

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Delbeek, Charles
> <CDelbeek at calacademy.org>wrote:
>
> > I would think it depends on the context under which the feeding is taking
> > place. For example, feeding hotdogs or trout chow to reef fish would be
> > different to feeding natural prey items to sharks.
> >
> > On Oahu, The Hanauma Bay marine preserve used to allow feeding of fish,
> > eventually since most people were feeding bread they began to actively
> sell
> > packets of pellet food for this purpose. As a result large more
> aggressive
> > fishes began to displace the smaller, less aggressive ones. I think there
> > was also an impact on algal growth in the inner part of the bay but I may
> > be making that up. Someone more familiar with the history of this can
> > correct me if I am wrong. Once the feeding was banned the fish assemblage
> > eventually returned to a more "normal" balance of species.
> >
> > J. Charles Delbeek, M.Sc.
> > Assistant Curator, Steinhart Aquarium
> > California Academy of Sciences
> >
> > Desk: 415.379.5303
> > Cell: 415.859.0420
> > Fax: 415.379.5304
> >
> > cdelbeek at calacademy.org
> > www.calacademy.org
> >
> > 55 Music Concourse Dr.
> > Golden Gate Park
> > San Francisco CA 94118
> >
> > What you can't see will amaze you.  Dark Universe, a new planetarium
> show,
> > now playing at the California Academy of Sciences.

"... the earth is, always has been, and always will be more beautiful than
it is useful." - Ophuls, 1977