[Coral-List] fish and algae

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Wed Feb 19 11:32:26 EST 2014

I agree with Fenner, Too much fiddling with statistical methods and
modeling and not enough observation. And, its not just coral reefs...
What appears to be overemphasis on statistically proving what the eye
can see is pervasive in almost all natural sciences. Poor Darwin. He
probably could not publish his Origin of Species today. It is all
anecdotal observations and drawings but eloquently done. So here is an
observation that relates to fish effects on coral. It was an
exceptionally calm day when we were taking small cores of M. annularis
at Looe Key reef to examine the internal record of the bleaching that
had occurred there many years earlier in 1967. We noticed that many  of
the large heads supported small piles of carbonate sand. A little
observation revealed that it was Parrot fish droppings. On a normal day
the sandy poop  would have been quickly removed by wave action but on
this day the poop remained for an hour or more. There  were also
numerous scars from Parrot fish bites. I always wondered what the long
term effects might be. Has anyone made long term observations of certain
coral heads to see what Parrot fish poop does to the corals? The guts of
fish are known to contain/Serratia marcescens/. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor