[Coral-List] fish and algae - and people

Michael Risk riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Thu Feb 20 12:19:43 EST 2014

Hello Nicole.

Thank you for that heartfelt message on a subject on which you obviously feel very strongly. Some of the elements in the message took me down memory lane, and some others need to be looked at with the dispassionate eye of the paleontologist.

First of all, although we search for simple solutions, bringing back Diadema  will not bring back the reefs of the Caribbean. The record shows pretty clearly that the decline was well underway by the time the urchins started dying. Secondly, we need to be careful in our assumption that native peoples are natural stewards of the environment. In North America, we have the example of the extinction of the Pleistocene megafauna to remind us that people are people.

Most politicians, if they have any formal education, tend to come from the social sciences. All too many of them go through law school. There is often a predisposition to mistrust science (after all, science often tells politicians what they cannot do), which leads them to embrace TEK ( Traditional Ecological Knowledge). The Canadian federal government seems to have taken this to its logical end, and has virtually abandoned curiosity-driven science. Canada is also in the grip of political correctness, which of course embraces TEK without reservation.

I do not wish to downplay TEK. My advice to my graduate students, whenever we came to a new project site or a new country, was "assume you know nothing. Go and find the oldest fisherman in town, and sit by his feet for a few days."  Many of us know of the seminal work of Bob Johannes, in collecting TEK on Pacific fisheries. At the same time, TEK is top-down management-one listens to the elders. There is also the implicit assumption that one is working with ecosystems that have not changed. Scientific management is bottom-up, in that science is that aspect of human life in which decisions are made with reference to the results of experiments.

"Science" here does not mean flooding the area with highly-trained and expensive people from developed nations. In fact, some of my own work has been designed to be locally accessible: the techniques  to assess sediment stress on reefs described in Cortes and Risk, 1985 are available to anyone with access to equipment found in any high school lab, and in Holmes et al. 2000 we outline reef monitoring techniques that can be taught to local villagers in a few hours.

CIDA , Canada's development agency (before the feds closed it) employed approximately 1300 social scientists. (Evidently they used to have a fish guy, but they let him go "because he was always telling us things were complicated.") When CIDA started working in Indonesia, they were ecstatic to discover that there was a traditional management system for marine resources called "Sasi", largely in the Moluccas. Millions of dollars were thrown at Sasi: describing, explaining, writing long monographs extolling the virtues of, etc. etc. True, this was TEK marine management, no more dealing with nasty complicated science: and only on close observation did the wheels begin to fall off.

First of all, although Sasi was supposed to be community-based, the final authority rested with the Sultan. (And I think you will find that in most coastal settings, this would be the case: final authority will be with some old man or group of men.) Secondly, it applied only from the high tide mark to the breaker zone. And finally, being based on traditional knowledge, it was ill-suited to deal with changing conditions. Today's reefs are facing an onslaught of stresses unlike any they have previously encountered, and hence I would suggest that ALL traditional reef management systems need to be recalibrated.

Swimming against this tide will be extremely difficult, if not impossible. In another Canadian example, we have here in Ontario the spectacle of youths from the local Six Nations reserves coming out into local farmland, and filling the beds of pickups with deer they had shot out of season-because they had a traditional right, and they also had traditional knowledge of managing the resource. No one would touch them. No one had the courage to point out that the White-Tailed deer they had just shot were recent immigrants to the area, having moved north with the coming of farming. The "deer" for which they had management systems were in fact Woodland Caribou, now extinct in southern Ontario. There is also the possibility that TEK could be distorted for financial reasons-people are people, after all. Polar Bears occur in several different sub-populations in the Canadian North. Some seem to be on the increase, whereas other populations have declined catastrophically. Our Minister of the Environment is an Inuit woman. The Inuit in Canada have the exclusive right to hunt polar bears, although they can sell licenses to foreigners. A large amount of money is involved. The Minister tells us that there are plenty of polar bears out there, because her brother is on the land and sees them all the time. There is no management plan, traditional or modern, that cannot be subverted by large amounts of cash.

I think TEK has a role, but its conclusions and policies must constantly be verified with reference to good, objective science, ideally science undertaken by the locals themselves. The ecosystems are changing, and TEK runs the risk of becoming irrelevant.

Mike