[Coral-List] Methyl Mercury in Commercial Important Coral Reef Fishes

Arrecifes de coral corales2006 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 21 16:53:28 EST 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Regarding the question about the relevance of
fishing lionfishes in the Caribbean, to diminish the fishing pressure on the
native species, the Foundation ICRI Colombia in Pro of Coral Reefs is considering
open a national market for lionfish consumption. However, prior to do that We consider
also the risk to human health of bioaccumulation on coral reef predators due to
pollution from human activities. Therefore, our Foundation is advising the
Colombian Government within our programs of CO-Management and “Publications for
Public Actions” that one of the criteria for defining the maximum sizes to
catch coral reef fishes of commercial importance, should be the concentrations
of Methyl Mercury in the dorsal muscle of the catches as the indicator for
allowing the establishment of legal catches of coral reef fishes of commercial
importance with concentrations being less than the regulatory threshold for
limited human consumption established by the World Health Organization, to
avoid risk to human health.

According to the publication of Huge et al.
2014, in Marine Pollution
www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X13007200?np=y, the
concentrations of Methyl Mercury in the muscle of the lionfishes from Florida
are still under the maximum level allowed by WHO. However, this study is an
alert to the Methyl Mercury bioaccumulation in big fishes in coral reef areas.
Since, the measurement in Lionfishes resulted to be lower than the levels found
in other native commercial species that are being catched intensively for consumption.  The problem of bioaccumulation links the two
major threatens to coral reefs the pollution and overfishing.

We learnt from a literature search that the
FDA-EPA of the United States and the Florida Department of Health define personal
dosages in case that bio accumulation of any kind of pollutants be found in
fishes for consumption. Then we have add in our webpages for general preventive
information following the precautionary official advise for countries without
enough information that we should respect the maximum dosage according to our
body weight: a NRDC Mercury Calculator http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/calculator/calc.asp  and a chart
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/l/t1/1545777_649060008463398_1861681058_n.jpg.
Therefore, We welcome your comments for us about a potential environmental
campaign that may be focused in that each Colombian should eat healthy fishes
free of pollutants like lionfishes at a dosage of 100 grams per person per
week. Meanwhile, We wait for the official communication requested to the Colombian
Government based on their researchers of the National Institute of Health. We
have encouraged academic debates with scientists from different Universities
and NGOs so all get in their research agenda the interest for scientific
measurements of Methyl Mercury and other pollutants in the lionfishes.

It is relevant to hear the experiences and
measurements from other countries where there is lionfish consumption; we know
that in Jamaica the Methyl Mercury in Lionfish was still safe that means lower
than the maximum allowed by WHO. The Foundation ICRI Colombia is ad portas to
open a massive market for the delicious invader lionfish which may represent an
alternative for food security and better life quality for fishermen, and an
environmental economic control to the invasive species. Thus, we are requesting
the Colombian Government INVIMA and MADS to take into account this indicator of
Bioaccumulation to establish the maximum size for lionfish consumption in case
that is found Methyl Mercury in the muscle of lionfishes.
Cordial saludo, Nohora Galvis Directora EjecutivaFundación ICRI Colombia en Pro de los Arrecifes Coralinoshttp://icri-colombia.es.tl/--Follow us https://twitter.com/ArrecifesCoral  y http://icri-colombia.blogspot.com/Like us https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fundaci%C3%B3n-Iniciativa-Arrecifes-Coralinos-de-Colombia/317788734923862"Antes de imprimir reflexiona si es necesario...
PROTEGE AL AMBIENTE"