[Coral-List] Methyl Mercury in Commercial Important Coral Reef Fishes

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 14:37:00 EST 2014

    Some people are aware that canned tuna also contains mercury.  The US
Environmental Protection Agency provides guidelines on how much canned tuna
can safely be eaten per week (
http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/tuna.asp).  There was an effort
to get the tuna industry or the grocery stores in the states to post
notices that people should limit their consumption, but they didn't do it.
     I used to be puzzled about how mercury got into the oceans, far from
land, and then went up the food chain getting concentrated in top predators
like tuna.  Then I read that much or most of it comes from the smoke
emitted by coal-fired electric generating plants.  It goes up in the air,
is carried by the air out over the oceans, and eventually rain picks it out
of the air and takes it down into the oceans, where it enters the food
chain.  Most likely, that means that large amounts of it are being emitted
by coal burning plants in China and India, and entering the huge brown
clouds of polluted air those countries produce, which are then carried by
winds out over the oceans near them.  Those brown clouds may be more toxic
than the African dust clouds the Caribbean gets (?).
     So burning coal pollutes the air near the plants (such as around
Bejing) which damages people's health, it also puts mercury into the oceans
and into our food supply which poisons people, and it adds lots of CO2 to
the atmosphere, which traps heat, and adds to the temperatures during ENSO
(El Nino Southern Oscillation) events which cause bleaching and kill
corals.  Many other countries burn lots of coal as well, including the US.
     Coal is cheap, which is why developing countries like the US and UK
used it during their development in the 1800's and China and India are
using it now.  At one point the "London fog" produced by burning coal
killed thousands of people in London, US cities were blackened with soot,
and so on.  I read news stories that China realizes it must start
generating electricity in other ways as fast as it can, they are well aware
of this problem.  Let us hope it happens quickly.  The US still emits lots
of pollution from coal fired plants.  A typical plant emits 170 pounds of
mercury a year, 10,000 tons of sulfur dioxide (principle cause of acid
rain) 114 pounds of lead, 720 tons of carbon monoxide, and 225 pounds of
arsenic, among other things.  All highly toxic.  Coal still is used to
produce half of the electricity the US uses.  It is the dirtiest of all
fuels.  A new port proposed in Australia will export huge quantities of
coal to India where it will be burned to make electricity and pollute the
air, and the dredging of the port in Australia needed to export the coal
will produce dredge spoils that will be disposed of in the Great Barrier
Reef Marine Park (though not directly on the reefs).  In 1993, the US
produced about $19 billion (with a "B") of coal a year, employing 100,000
miners.  It is big business.  Dirty business, that kills people.  There are
cleaner alternatives.
    Cheers,  Doug

Union of Concerned Scientists:
"*Mercury:* Coal plants are responsible for more than half of the U.S.
human-caused emissions of mercury, a toxic heavy metal that causes brain
damage and heart problems. Just 1/70th of a teaspoon of mercury deposited
on a 25-acre lake can make the fish unsafe to eat. A typical uncontrolled
coal plants emits approximately 170 pounds of mercury each year. Activated
carbon injection technology can reduce mercury emissions by up to 90
percent when combined with baghouses. ACI technology is currently found on
just 8 percent of the U.S. coal fleet."
http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/coalvswind/c02c.html

"according to a 2004 report, U.S. power plant pollution contributes to
nearly 24,000 premature deaths each year"
http://www.ucsusa.org/assets/documents/clean_energy/wpne-choices.pdf