[Coral-List] Lionfish in the news

Jennifer Chapman jen at blueventures.org
Thu Jan 30 11:30:30 EST 2014

Dear Steve,

I agree with your point that invasive lionfish should not be used as a
scapegoat for the decline of native fish stocks, which unarguably happened
before the invasion really hit the Caribbean. However, equally unarguably,
they exacerbate the effects of over-exploitation: feeding on a variety of
juvenile fish and invertebrates, lionfish have been demonstrated to
significantly reduce fish recruitment rates (Albins & Hixon, 2008. MEPS 365:
233-238), thereby decreasing the recovery potential of depleted
populations. Anecdotal evidence from Belizean fishers indicates that
lionfish also feed on lobster roe.

The silver lining of the lionfish invasion is the opportunity to exploit an
alternative target species, diversifying fisheries and providing an
opportunity to reduce pressure on native fish stocks. The exciting finding
of this paper increases confidence that, if we target our removal efforts
appropriately, we can reduce the impact of *this* stressor to coral reefs.

However, it is important to keep in mind that this is not a magic bullet.
 Reducing lionfish populations is unlikely to result in a sudden recovery
of native fish stocks unless the other pressures that they are under are
also addressed.

Best Wishes,

Jen

http://www.blueventures.org/what-we-do/invasive-species.html