[Coral-List] Corals for Educators

Beverly Owens BeverlyO at discoveryplace.org
Thu Jan 30 13:37:05 EST 2014

Hi there,

I have taught 8th grade science for the past 10 years, and I am currently working at a STEM Center to provide professional development programming for teachers. While participating as a Teacher at Sea, I was introduced to deep sea corals. I would love to be able to offer a kit of coral (deep sea, shallow water, stony, soft, etc.) samples that teachers could check out from our STEM Center to use in their classrooms. Does anyone happen to have discard coral material that could be donated to our teacher education program? This kit loan program would give teachers across North Carolina the opportunity to share the diversity of corals with K-12 students across our state. Fragile corals would be placed in Riker Mounts or other containers to protect them.

Additionally, please let me know if you are interested in becoming involved with outreach to teachers in any other capacity. Based on a recent survey that we conducted with over 300 educators, teachers want to be in contact with scientists, learn about current research from scientists, learn real-world applications, and learn about science career pathways. Some examples of outreach include: Skype, on-site presentations, tours of your lab or facility, field experiences involving teachers during your research opportunities, etc.

Please let me know if you are interested in discussing educational outreach or have discard coral material. I know teachers would be grateful!

Thanks so much!
Beverly Owens

Beverly Owens
Program Manager