[Coral-List] Deep-sea coral identification?

Versteegh, Emma A (382D-Affiliate) Emma.Versteegh at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 9 14:09:27 EDT 2014

Dear list members

I have recently started some stable isotope work on deep-sea corals collected at the Mid-Cayman Rise. I wonder if there is any way to get a handle on the species / genus of these corals. For some of them we have pictures. We have plenty of (freeze dried) material for possible DNA analysis, but I wonder if any DNA markers are likely to exist for these species. Does anybody have any leads on how to go about this?
Thank you for your help!

Emma

Dr. Emma A. A. Versteegh
NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory