[Coral-List] Science and Politics

Helder Perez helder.perez at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 13:53:37 EDT 2014

Dear all,

My dad once told me that 'everything is political'. Under this axiom, even
those who consider themselves *apolitical* are taking a stand in politics.
Of course, there is a difference between those who make a living out of
politics (congressmen, senators,activists and the president), and those who
do everything else.

Now, let's stop for a second and consider this: what would happen if more
scientists went into politics? The job is certainly not for everyone, but I
can see a couple of you out there making ripples in the stagnant wetland
that is the State. We would probably have a government that takes informed
decisions, decisions based on reasoning rather than corporate and personal
interests and religious beliefs. Politics, would then, perhaps, not be a
synonym of crowd manipulation.

We are losing the reefs and doing very little to stop it. It's likely (as
the IPCC lingo says) that I will witness the irreparable decay of the
Mesoamerican Barrier Reef within my lifetime. For a country like Honduras,
where a large portion of its GDP and social wellness depends on tourism,
coral reef health is paramount. Why are we then still wasting time debating
wether this issue should or shouldn't be political? Every minute counts and
we are losing the battle. Just look at Fox News headline: *"New Research
Shows Wind Farms Cause Global Warming". *

1. http://nation.foxnews.com/global-warming/2012/04/30/new-
research-shows-wind-farms-cause-global-warming

Really? I don't remember wearing a sign on my forehead saying that I'm very
stupid. Do you?

The world needs scientists and scholars (corporations have long profited
from our findings only to later say -out loud- science had anything to do
with it). Still, now more than ever we need scientists engaged in politics
and *science communication*. Can you imagine if we had a Steve Jobs working
in coral conservation? It seems that when Jacques Cousteau passed away he
took all the ocean stories with him. If Neil deGrasse Tyson took over
Cosmos and has made a TERRIFIC job at it, why can't any of the bright stars
of ocean research (geology, climate, coral, biology, etc...) do something
similar or greater?

 Now, let's take a step further and imagine if we had coral scientist in DC
with the political pull of John F. Kennedy. Wouldn't that be a lot
different?

Helder I. Pérez
Contractor with GVC Italy
La Mosquitia