[Coral-List] meeting session "From Ridge-to-Reef: Terrestrial sediment impacts to coral reef ecosystems"

Storlazzi, Curt cstorlazzi at usgs.gov
Thu Jun 19 15:20:45 EDT 2014

Dear colleagues:

We would like to draw your attention to a meeting session on:

*From Ridge-to-Reef: Terrestrial sediment impacts to coral reef ecosystems*

at the 47th annual American Geophysical Union’s 2014 Fall Meeting, which
will be held 15-19 December 2014 in San Francisco, California. Please visit
the conference website for more information:

*http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2014/ <http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2014/>*

*Aim and Scope of this Session, 3496:*

Coral reefs and associated marine ecosystems are increasingly under threat
from multiple environmental changes. Amongst the most visible changes is
the arrival of fine terrestrial sediment, as it tampers with photosynthesis
and feeding, covers potential recruitment sites, and can even smother coral
colonies. Poor land-use practices in the tropics and sub-tropics have been
responsible for elevated terrestrial sediment delivery rates to coral
ecosystems over several centuries. Unlike some global threats to coral,
such as increased ocean temperatures and acidification, the land erosion
threat may be mitigated at human timescales with the aid of current
research efforts to make reefs more resilient to global stressors. In this
session, we bring together diverse scientists exploring this threat and its
effect on coral ecosystems; we also hope to gain some perspective on the
global distribution of these impacts. Summaries of current regional
investigations, site-specific studies, and modeling results are all
encouraged.

Co-conveners:

Carlos Ramos-Scharrón, The University of Texas-Austin, Department of

     Geography & the Environment (cramos at austin.utexas.edu)

Curt Storlazzi, United States Geological Survey, Pacific Coastal and

     Marine Science Center (cstorlazzi at usgs.gov)

Jonathan Stock, United States Geological Survey, Innovation Center for
Earth

     Sciences (jstock at usgs.gov <cstorlazzi at usgs.gov>)

Trent Biggs, San Diego State University, Department of Geography

     (tbiggs at mail.sdsu.edu)

To assist the organizing committee in assigning your abstract to our
session, please use the session code:* 3496*. Abstracts are due by* 6
August *at http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2014/scientific-program/*.*

If you know of anyone who might be interested who might not receive this
notice, please feel free to pass it along.  We are very excited about this
session, and look forward to your participation.  If you have any
questions, please feel free to contact us.  We hope to see you in San
Francisco!

Carlos, Curt, Jon, and Trent

Curt Storlazzi, Ph.D.
U.S. Geological Survey
Pacific Coastal and Marine Science Center
400 Natural Bridges Drive
Santa Cruz, CA 95060
(831) 460-7521 phone
(831) 427-4748 fax