[Coral-List] Majuro question: more resources

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Fri Mar 21 14:55:15 EDT 2014

The USCRTF was established under Executive Order 13089
(http://www.coralreef.gov/about/executive_order13089.pdf). It primarily
talks about protecting US Coral Reefs, and coordination with the
International Coral Reef Initiative. The Republic of the Marshall Islands
(RMI) is a non-voting member. However, it is no longer a US territory, but
rather an independent nation covered under the renewed Compact of Free
Association, under which the US provides economic benefits (including
improvements in transportation) in exchange for things including potential
military use.

The US Secretary of Transportation is a member of the USCRTF, and one would
think that fact would lead to the operation of FAA in the spirit of the
Executive Order. However, there appears to be no strong legal basis that
says they have to.

We need immediate public demand that will sway the US FAA, or perhaps
encourage the President to pass along the pressure or issue a new Executive
Order. Discussions with RMI via the US State Department would be especially
effective.

Ultimately, we need the legislation. I am concerned about coral reefs,
marshes, rain forests, freshwater bodies, and general human welfare -- all
of which can be threatened by poorly controlled US interventions that impact
non-US environments.

John