[Coral-List] Scuba and Spearfishing

Rudy Bonn rudy_bonn at yahoo.com
Sat May 10 12:24:32 EDT 2014

Spearfishing on SCUBA should be prohibited in my opinion!  Fish stocks are already depleted; you shrink the gene pool by taking the large fish out of the population; when you miss, as a lot do, you end up hitting the reef and open a door for microbes to invade, and it is inherently dangerous.  Do we have to conquer every living thing on this planet along with the planet itself?  We are the most dangerous parasites ever created and now, we are seeing the consequences of our activities!  We should be ashamed, and I am!  Ever heard of cage hunting?  Machismo and ego need to go!  I look at these trophy hunters bragging about the dangerous animal hanging on their walls and how they overcame their fear and bagged it!  Yep, takes a lot of courage to kill an animal when you are armed with a canon on your back!  Get over it, spearfishing om scuba is not fair to the animals being pursued and should be prohibited everywhere!

Rudy S Bonn
Marine Educator/Biologist
Miami, Florida