[Coral-List] sharpnose puffer

Linda Searle linda at ecomarbelize.org
Mon May 12 13:45:33 EDT 2014

Greetings from the Western Caribbean Sea!

There is currently a population explosion of the sharpnose puffer
(Canthigaster rostrata) here in Belize with reports of mortality in the
Turneffe Islands Marine Reserve, the islands inside the central barrier reef
in the South Water Caye Marine Reserve,  and the southern barrier reef in
the Gladden Spit & Silk Cayes Marine Reserve and the Sapodilla Cayes Marine
Reserve.  We also received a report from a diver who visited Roatan last
week that numerous small fish (waiting on the picture to confirm species)
were observed washed up dead on the beach.   While we have observed the
population explosion on the reefs inside the northern part of the Belize
Barrier Reef where some of the species observed appear deformed and small in
size, we have not observed dead fish washing up along the beaches, yet.
We're wondering if this episode is isolated to the region or if this is
occurring in other parts of the Caribbean.   Please share any observations
directly to linda at ecomarbelize.org.

Regards, Linda Searle

ECOMAR
St. George's Caye