[Coral-List] political arguments on coral-list

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Tue May 20 16:33:18 EDT 2014

Thank you Chris and Daphne. Yes it is a contact sport but one we have
all  created. I well remember when the coral-list began. It was for
scientists trading technical information...then it began to change and
it started to bother some that so much space was used advertising reef
management jobs and the like.  When climate and acidification became an
issue things became even more political and complicated. I might mention
here that global warming came after the 1970s when Steve Schneider was
predicting we were headed into another ice age. The problem I constantly
worry about is that NOAA, which claims to be a
technical/science-oriented agency, sponsors the coral-list. At the same
time the Coral reef Sanctuaries are part of NOAA and they are mainly
about management/enforcement. Both are under the dept. of Commerce so
that adds another level of restraints and unintended consequences. What
if science uncovers a problem, for example that aerial spraying of
mosquito pesticides is harming the reef, would that activity is made
illegal? Not likely because it would drastically affect the
Economy/Commerce of the Florida Keys. Another example would be
sunscreen, which some published research suggest causes coral bleaching.
(The stuff is banned in Mexican coral reef parks) If NOAA/dept. of
Commerce banned sunscreen in the Keys might they be accused of promoting
more skin cancers? The tourism/economy would certainly be affected. We
can't have that. There are many such examples because the economy of the
keys is greatly dependent on natural resources such as the
fishing/lobster industry. Again the same political problem! The
Sanctuary controls those activities by enforcing rules set up by another
NOAA agency, National Marine Fisheries. And right next door is
Everglades National Park, which is the dept. of Interior with a very
different philosophy. Mosquito spraying is not allowed on their property
and they have their own fishery rules/regulations and enforcement
officers.  And lets not forget Fish and Wildlife Service, yet another
part of the dept. of Interior. And of course there are the State Parks
such as Pennekamp. See what a convoluted political situation we have! We
just do it to ourselves. Does anyone really expect all these diverse
parts of government to operate seamlessly especially at their
headquarters back in Washington DC where each is constantly trying to
increase its funding and influence?  It's clear we can't take politics
out of coral reef science and research. A friend of mine used to say the
definition of mixed emotions is when your mother in law drives your new
Cadillac over a cliff. We certainly seem to have created a lot of mixed
emotions to deal with. Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor