[Coral-List] Cell fixative solution for Symbiodinium

John Skutnik johnskutnik at gmail.com
Wed May 28 15:30:23 EDT 2014

Hi all,

    I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for a fixative solution
to use on free living Symbiodinium.  I am in a time crunch and wont be able
to get formalin to my sample destination in time.  I am aware ethanol and
methanol are commonly used as fixatives but was told they would affect
pigmentation which I would like to preserve as best as possible.  The
analytical goal is to use flow cytometry and TEM on these samples.  Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

-John Skutnik

John Skutnik
Graduate Student
Grand Valley State University