[Coral-List] paper parks

Peter Sale sale at uwindsor.ca
Sat Nov 1 21:03:28 EDT 2014

Hi Gregor,
This reply was very slow because I have been travelling, but still
important to get it said.  Thank you for pointing out my error re the
origin of the 'paper parks' term.  I had always thought Graeme Kelleher
had coined it, and had not checked.  Your message plus some that followed
have clarified, and I have learned something.

'Paper park' is a great term -- so perfectly evocative of the uselessness
(as flimsy as tissue paper), and so correct since the law and the
management plan are usually printed out on paper, nicely bound, on a
shelf, ready to be shown to anyone who wants to know if the particular MPA
is real or not.  Such a perverse view of reality!

Best
Peter

sale at uwindsor.ca                 @PeterSale3
www.uwindsor.ca/sale           www.petersalebooks.com