[Coral-List] Requesting suggestions / case studies for a marine life viewing platform on / around coral reefs

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 24 11:07:39 EST 2014

This is an old school technique, but teaching proper buoyancy control, and gear management (not letting everything hang out there, but tie it up), does wonders in eliminating diver impact on any kind of marine habitat, including coral reefs. I hope the Dive Centers you mention are still teaching both.
Yes, divers tend to "forget", but if they do forget while watching the mandarin fish, then it's easy to take a picture and issue a fine to the offending diver. Let's call it behavioral enforcement

The platform you suggest would probably do more damage to the corals underneath.

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D. Coordinator Reef Rescuers ProgramIsland Conservation Centre Nature Seychelles,Amitie, Praslin, Seychelleshttp://www.natureseychelles.org/what-we-do/coral-reef-restoration-and-Research CollaboratorSmithsonian-National Museum of Natural Historyat Smithsonian Marine Station, Fort Pierce, FL, USATwitter: @GrouperDocBlog: http://grouperluna.wordpress.comhttp://independent.academia.edu/SarahFriasTorres