[Coral-List] Picture Randomization Software Recommendation

Matthew Johnston johnmatt at nova.edu
Thu Oct 16 12:19:57 EDT 2014

Hi Nicole,

I don't have a recommendation for random image captures from film, however CPCe (Coral Point Count with Excel extensions) is a free software tool produced by the National Coral Reef Institute at NSU that can facilitate ecological assessment once you have your sample images.  With CPCe you can sample random points on your image, classify them based on a set of user-defined types, and run coverage statistics that are sent to excel automatically.

For more information about CPCe and to download the latest version, you can visit http://www.nova.edu/ocean/cpce/

If you have any questions about the software, please let me know.

Best,

Matt
___________________________________
Matt Johnston
Research Scientist/Scientific Computer Programmer
National Coral Reef Institute
Nova Southeastern University Oceanographic Center
Guy Harvey Research Institute
8000 N. Ocean Drive, Dania, FL 33004 USA
johnmatt at nova.edu<mailto:johnmatt at nova.edu>
954.262.3641 (office, CoE #506)
954.205.8007 (cell)
www.nova.edu/~johnmatt<http://www.nova.edu/~johnmatt>