[Coral-List] Picture Randomization Software Recommendation

BRUCE CARLSON exallias2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 20:31:25 EDT 2014

Matthew

Video is usually shot at around 30 frames per second.  If you simply select random frames, many of them will be nearly identical, and you will likely have thousands of frames.  One method you might consider would be to run the program through editing software such as Final Cut Pro.  Advance the video to create non-overlapping scenes ("quadrats") and then create a "freeze-frame" jpeg of each non-overlapping quadrat.  Once you have all of the freeze frames covering your entire transect (which could run about 50-100 freeze-frames for a 30-meter transect, more or less depending on your vertical distance from the reef).  You could then use whatever method you want to select random freeze-frames for further analysis in CPCe.

Perhaps someone can suggest a quicker automated procedure but this will work.

Aloha
Bruce Carlson