[Coral-List] The Chagos MPA - what went wrong?

Magnus Johnson m.johnson at hull.ac.uk
Tue Oct 21 06:17:02 EDT 2014

You are quite right Doug, my apologies – I had not even realised!

Magnus,

    When we write journal articles, we're required to define our abbreviations and acronyms.  Sometimes people post messages with an acronym in it without defining the acronym, and I often reply to them offline asking if they would mind defining it for coral-list.  Whatever the acronym, over 8000 people around the world in many different countries, with many different first languages, and many different specialties receive these messages, and I just think it is courteous of writers to define their acronyms and abbreviations.  I forget to do it myself sometimes.  You have several, some of which I and others may not be familiar with.  Could you please define for us what the following are:

LMPA – Large Marine Protected Area
IUU – Illegal Unregulated or Unreported
MRAG – Marine Resource Assessment Group http://www.mrag.co.uk/
BIOT – British Indian Overseas Territory
FCMZ – Fisheries Conservation Management Zone
RAMSAR – the convention on wetlands http://www.ramsar.org/
ZSL – Zoological Society of London http://www.zsl.org/
POP – Persistent Organic Pollutant
BINGOS – Big Non-Governmental Organisations
PEW – Pew are a BINGO with several faces http://www.pewtrusts.org/en

Thanks!  Cheers,  Doug