[Coral-List] Why we are failing to repair coral reefs

Alan.E.Strong - NOAA Affiliate alan.e.strong at noaa.gov
Tue Oct 21 08:34:47 EDT 2014

Spot on Alina....only takes those in the Caribbean this past month who
have had to cope with the Sargassum "take over"!!

Cheers,
Al

On 10/20/2014 6:19 PM, Szmant, Alina wrote:
> Hello Peter:
>
> I read your essay in Reef Encounters.  All I will add is that if all we (whoever we is) are focused on is saving coral reefs, we are doomed to failure..  Coral reefs are just one of many ecosystems on Planet Earth that are in distress and being wiped out systematically due to the human cancer:  forests (rain and temperate, and all other kinds), wetlands, tundra, coastal plains, estuaries, and on and on.  We can't hope to save one without saving them all, and to do that in the long term, we have to somehow reduce human numbers to half of those inhabiting Earth today.  It may be too late already, but the longer we wait to even recognize the root of the problem and get moving to do something about it, the less likely that this will happen in time to save the organisms and ecosystems we know and value.
>
> Alina
>

> "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." Eleanor Roosevelt
>
> "The time is always right to do what is right"  Martin Luther King

> Dr. Alina M. Szmant
> Professor of Marine Biology
> AAUS Scientific Diving Lifetime Achievement Awardee
> Center for Marine Science
> University of North Carolina Wilmington
> 5600 Marvin Moss Ln
> Wilmington NC 28409 USA
> tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
> http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******

Alan E. Strong, Ph.D.
NOAA Coral Reef Watch, Senior Consultant
Strong Research, Inc. & GST
NOAA Coral Reef Watch Program
  e-mail: Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

Mailing Address:

NOAA
Dr. Alan Strong
NCWCP - E/RA3
Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP)
5830 University Research Ct. - Rm. 3221
College Park, MD 20740

PHONE:  301-683-3339  Cell: 410-490-6602

(301) 683-3300 - General SOCD phone number
(301) 683-3301 - SOCD Fax