[Coral-List] Why we are failing to repair coral reefs

Greg Challenger GChallenger at polarisappliedsciences.com
Thu Oct 23 15:00:00 EDT 2014

I would disagree that past events have not affected carrying capacity.  We've been doing things that affect carrying capacity for quite some time.  The one-time inheritance that helps create carrying capacity and includes things like topsoil and biodiversity that Erlich discusses in 1968 included buffalo, whales, prairie, wetlands and other things we have largely depleted long ago, did it not?   There are too many more examples to list.     Carrying capacity is largely influenced the availability of substitute resources and very much by the current technological regime to utilize those resources in more effective and sustainable ways.  Despite losses of one time inheritances, the carrying capacity has still gone up due in part to many technological advances.  Advanced nations have higher carrying capacities than poorer nations.  I'm not selling technology as the panacea, but we are all "technologists".....are we admitting we can't solve the problem and we just have wait for half of us to go away?  I'm not there yet.  I have been working on some great coral and large-scale wetland restoration projects.  I have seen some locations with much promise and recovery despite declines elsewhere.  I also lament losses, but there are apparently unavoidable losses on large scales regardless of humans as Gene points out.  This is no reason of course to reverse our own damage to the best of our ability.  I still think the glass is half full.  The loss of half of the glass is bad, but I'm not down yet.
Greg Challenger