[Coral-List] The Chagos MPA - Science vs Advocacy

Richard Dunne RichardPDunne at aol.com
Fri Oct 24 09:05:50 EDT 2014

The Chagos Conservation Trust (CCT) again posts to this list and draws
attention to documents on its website. It is unfortunate that once more
these documents present a viewpoint which is thoroughly misleading.

SCIENCE vs ADVOCACY

This is not my heading. It is taken from CCT's recent briefing to
Parliamentarians (to which our attention is drawn by Charles Sheppard).
CCT use a term "advocacy science" to mean "selective, misleading or
incorrect science". They then give what they consider to be several
examples. I will concern myself with just one to allow the readers of
this List to make an informed judgment of CCT's claims.

The paper is one that I co-authored with Dr Susana Barbosa and Professor
Philip Woodworth published in the journal Global & Planetary Change in
2012
(http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921818111002098) and
entitled "Contemporary sea level in the Chagos Archipelago, central
Indian Ocean".

CCT claim that it showed that " sea level rise is not proven in Chagos
so will not affect settlement" and then retort that " but the consensus
shows clearly that it does". Apart from the fact that I disagree with
what they attribute to our paper, let us consider the facts.

Sheppard (and CCT) has consistently portrayed sea-level rise to be a
serious problem in the Chagos based on figures initially of 5.4 mm yr-1
[2003 Chagos Conservation Plan]; 8mm yr-1 [March 2008 Chagos News 31];
10 mm yr-1 [July 2008 Chagos News 34]; and in a draft circulated at a
public meeting in 2011, 12 mm yr-1. They have also claimed that
sea-level rise in the Chagos is accelerating. My co-author, Prof Philip
Woodworth, an long-term expert on sea level, is on record as saying that
these figures are "definitely wrong" [New Scientist 23 Nov 2011
-http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21204-chagos-islands-in-sealevel-rise-controversy.html#.VEn0pfnF914]
.

It was these grossly misleading values that prompted us to write this
paper, which demonstrated that sea-level rise has been in the order of
0.16 – 4.56 mm yr-1 across the Chagos sea area (larger values in the
south and decreasing towards the north) and that at Diego Garcia and in
the northern atolls the rates of rise were statistically
non-significant. For reference, present rates of global mean sea-level
rise are in the order of 3.2 mm yr-1.

After the publication of our paper, Sheppard then changed his tune
claiming that: "we have known about this for years and I am sure those
measurements [2.2 mm yr-1 for Diego Garcia] are right" [Letter to New
Scientist 7 Dec 2011 -
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21228420.800-chagos-islands.html].
In January 2013 CCT wrote that “We know that Chagos experiences average
sea level rises of less than the global average,…...”. But to offset
this it gave a pessimistic outlook: “it is not consoling to know that
the next IPCC report looks like it is going to increase the predicted
global mean sea level rise by about four fold” [Chagos News 41].

Certain words in the abstract of our paper have upset CCT, indeed its
Secretary wrote to the journal editor in December 2011 in an