[Coral-List] Why we are failing to repair coral reefs

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 27 10:10:22 EDT 2014

   I suppose that there are a number of reasons why we are failing to repair
   coral reefs. Not the least of which is the lack of political will to move in
   the direction of developing sustainable economic models that value and
   promote a more ecocentric approach. A case in point is the reaction to the
   Rio+20 outcome document entitled The Future We Want. The ensuing debate
   between developed and developing countries on the merits of the resolution's
   proposals sheds light on the difficulties involved in building a consensus
   even for the most compelling issues  affecting us all.
   If you are unfamiliar with the document, you can find it here:
   [1]http://www.icriforum.org/icri-documents/icri-and-un-documents/unga-resolu
   tion-66288-future-we-want

   Articles 158 through 177 deal directly with issues affecting the oceans and
   seas.
   This link describes in detail some of the main points of contention:
   http://www.mcgeorge.edu/Documents/Publications/05_Ellison_27_1.pdf
   Since repairing coral reefs would require coordinated action on both the
   local and global levels, it might prove useful to study this effort at
   promoting  a world which emphasizes betterment through sustainability.
   Bringing about such a transformation would require an unprecedented level of
   cooperation and commitment, but regardless of the inherent difficulties,
   those who already value conservation have a moral obligation to press on. As
   Doug  said,  it  won't  be easy, but the role of science (as in marine
   biologists) in this endeavor is as clear as it is primary for humanity thus
   far seems   unconvinced that the   ultimate   fate  of  our threatened
   ecosystems serves  as  a reflection of the destiny we are choosing for
   ourselves.

   Steve