[Coral-List] Why we are failing to repair coral reefs

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 15:46:36 EDT 2014

Very good, well said!!  Thank you!  One NGO that helps the local community
with family planning, is "Blue Ventures" which works in SW Madagascar.  If
you search on Blue Ventures, their website should pop up.  I said several
times in my recent posts, that just providing birth control to those that
want it but can't afford it, can make a real positive difference.
    Thanks for all you do!
   Cheers,  Doug

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 5:29 AM, Naneng Setiasih <nsetiasih at coral.org>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Thanks David to raise the issue of population.  Totally agree, with
> Indonesia's population getting close to 300 million, I always wonder if
> what ever we are doing now will ever be enough.  I am working with a
> community in a small village, with about 2000 people, 50% of them younger
> than 17 years old. Their resources, of course already very depleted, and
> will continue so once this 50% of the people get married, and have another
> kids.
>
> Many environmental NGOs do not take population issue under their agenda,
> as it is not "conservation".  A totally legitimate reason,  However, it
> does not mean that we can not build a strong link with NGO who does that,
> and align our program in a "applicable" way.  Seems easy,   But in
> reality,  when an NGO does do it, they do it outside their ToR, outside
> their main funding from donors.  So, those who actually doing it, doing it
> more at their personal interests (and thus, they tend not to have a
> personal social life themselves ;))
>
> When I talked to collegues from funders, who by the way, have different
> departments within their organization including family planning, health,
> education, and environment, they said, it is complicated, as many of the
> departments are "independent".
>
> I do realize it is complicated, but, we HAVE to do this.   So I guess,
> until people's mindset change, what we can do is to seek for other NGOs who
> are doing social, family planning, and health issue that work in your area,
> or interested in working in your area, and then align our work with them.
>
> If anybody knows good NGOs/programs about social, family planning, and
> health issue   and are keen to build collaboration with conservation
> organization in any place in this world, please do share... (in my case,
> coral triangle)
>
> Regards
>
> Naneng Setiasih
> Coral Triangle Regional Manager
> Coral Reef Alliance
>

> On Oct 30, 2014, at 6:01 PM, Sue Wells wrote:
>
> > Peter's very good article in ISRS's newsletter Reef Encounter on what
> can be
> > done for coral reefs and the subsequent discussion have been very timely.
> >

> > In Peter's recent post, he mentions the effectiveness - or not - of MPAs
> for
> > coral reefs.  There is now a rapidly growing literature reflecting the
> > strenuous efforts around the world to improve MPA management.  This is
> still
> > very far from perfect, but I think we have moved on from the 1990s, when
> > Graeme Kelleher and others (myself included) reviewed the status of MPAs
> and
> > came to the rather gloomy conclusion about their management as cited by
> > Peter.  Next month, the World Parks Congress takes place in Sydney
> > http://worldparkscongress.org/, at which  many of the initiatives to
> [...]

Douglas Fenner
Contractor with Ocean Associates, Inc.
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

phone 1 684 622-7084

"belief in climate change is optional, participation is not."

belief in evolution is optional, use of antibiotics that bacteria have not
evolved resistance to is recommended.

website:  http://independent.academia.edu/DouglasFenner

blog: http://ocean.si.edu/blog/reefs-american-samoa-story-hope